“I love doing billing, invoicing, and collecting unpaid debts.” – said NO ONE EVER
We wanted to share 5 ways we’ve seen to help ensure you get PAID!
Covering your bases from the start:
1. All New Clients Require a 30-50% Deposit to begin
2. Prepare a very detailed quote and require a signature on the purchase order
3. Long Term Projects- Require Monthly Installments
When they don’t pay and don’t respond:
4. Include a colleague as your de facto “collections specialist” to place a call for you. See the script below.
This is “translators name/agency” collections representative, calling in reference to invoice xxx which is now “x # of days” overdue. To avoid further action on our part, please contact me to arrange payment as soon as possible. ”
At this point make it VERY easy for them to pay you like taking payment over the phone or via paypal.
5. A legal threat- sometimes the simple thought of legal action can inspire the most stubborn of people. This may be costly if you do have to go through with it- and many times collecting payment after you’ve won is impossible.